Friday, March 23, 2012

Succession


I shook my head the way injured cartoon characters do to clear away the stars circling their heads.  “You’re the Devil,” I stated.

“Yes I am,” he said, with an obvious measure of pride.

“But you’re not the first Devil,” I said.

“I am not,” he said.

“How many have there been?” I asked.

“Many,” he answered simply.

“Okay, but where did they all go?”

He smiled.  “Into retirement.”

“The Devil can just retire?” I asked.

“No, not just retire,” he replied.  “It’s not as simple as that.  There are lots of arrangements to be made, not the least of which is finding a suitable replacement.”

I nodded.  “Oh.”

“Which brings me to the reason I’ve set up this meeting,” he said smoothly.  “I’m retiring soon.  Very soon.”
My eyes widened.  I did not like where this was heading.

“You’re going to be my replacement,” he said, smiling broadly.

No comments:

Post a Comment