Monday, May 28, 2012

Enforcement


I sent Vilnius away, back to his duties as Director of the Department of Development.  He was clearly not happy to go, but he didn't have a choice.

I looked over at Gus as soon as the door closed.  "That," I said proudly, "Is the first time I went up against a demon and won."  He smiled back and slowly lifted his fist for a bump.  I obliged.

"So what next?" I asked.

"I think it's time to visit the Department of Enforcement," Gus said.  "With your permission, of course, as always," he added.

"Enforcement?  What do they do?" I asked.

"Part National Guard, part Secret Police," he explained.  "Usually they deal with humans trying to escape--which you can imagine happens a lot.  Despite all the warm weather down here, everybody's itching to leave."

"What about when they're not stopping escapees?" I asked.

"In the past, they've been used against demons as the Devil's private army, but they aren't always effective against demons."

"Why not?" I asked.

"Because they're demons, and they're only a small percentage of all the demons down here.  Using them to attack hellspawn is like using the 101st Airborne to declare war on the US Army.  Sure, they're badasses, but they'd be going up against a huge number of their brothers who are almost as badass as they are."

I laughed.  "It still sounds like they could be useful.  Is their director sympathetic to a new devil?"

He smiled.  "Just keep giving him heads to bust, and General Gavsot will be as sympathetic to you as you need him to be."

I motioned toward the door.  "Then let's go," I said.

No comments:

Post a Comment