Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Phone Privileges


Gus’s eyes widened when I reappeared in the hallway in front of him.  “Whoa, that was fast,” he said.  “You were only gone a minute.  How’d you get away?”

“No thanks to you,” I said sharply.  “What were you doing, standing here until I came back?”

He shrugged.  “Pretty much, yeah.  There wasn’t a hell of a lot else I could do.”

“You could have called me, tried to figure out where I was,” I suggested.  I don’t know why I was so angry at him when it didn’t appear that he had anything to do with my brief kidnapping.

“I don’t have a phone,” he said sheepishly.  “Your predecessor didn’t give me one.”

“He didn’t give his chief of staff a phone?”

“To be more accurate, he revoked my phone privileges because I kept sexting this cute little blue demon who worked in the Development Department,” Gus admitted.

“Sexting,” I said incredulously.  “In…Hell?”

He shrugged.  “I’ve been dead a long time,” he said simply.  “I don’t get laid much.”

I blinked.  “Okay.  Your phone privileges are reinstated.  I need to be able to call my sidekick if I get into more trouble.”

Gus grinned.  “You didn’t tell me how you got away,” he said.

“Kivra showed up,” I said.  “She made some kind of a threat against this Azraal guy and they had a little staring contest before he gave up and left.”

“Kivra saved you?”

“Yeah, I was pretty surprised,” I admitted.  “Didn’t see that coming.”

Gus shook his head.  “This,” he stated gravely, “Is not a good thing.”

4 comments:

  1. There appears to be a section of the story missing or a broken link?

    From this... "Then he pretended to have been struck with an ingenious idea. “Ah! I know! I think I’ll kill you.”

    ...to here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah... the missing bit is "over the page" ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently I had one of these posted in the wrong order. Thanks for catching that!

      Delete
  3. Happens to us all :)

    I've reviewed the story over at WFG.

    ReplyDelete