Monday, July 16, 2012

Laying the Groundwork


I kind of liked General Gavsot so far.  He seemed straightforward.  I wasn't nearly as worried about him manipulating me as I was about Kivra or Vilnius or Azraal or anybody else I'd met down here.

Except for maybe Gus.  Gus seemed pretty safe too.

"Let's talk business," I said.  "I've been told that you like your position as Director of Enforcement."

"I do," he answered.

"And I've also been told that you're more loyal to that position than to whoever's in charge, is that true?"

"It is," he said.

"So it's my understanding," I continued, "That so long as I keep you as Director of Enforcement and give you things for you to do while you're in this post, I can count you as an ally, is that correct?"

"It is," he said.

"Great," I replied.  "In that case, I have an assignment for you."  I waited for him to respond.  He didn't.  So I continued.  "I need to make a show of force."

"I can do that," General Gavsot said.

"I had something specific in mind," I began, "but I'd like to have my advisor here to help me assess the risk of this particular course of action."

"I will permit it," the General said.

"Thank you," I replied.  The General briefly disappeared, and then reappeared with Gus standing next to him.

"Wonderful," I said.  "I think we're ready to begin."

No comments:

Post a Comment