Friday, July 20, 2012

The Perfect Job


General Gavsot appeared unfazed.  "Azraal," he said, as if to confirm he'd heard correctly.

"Yes," I said.

"The Director of Transportation," he said, with the same tone as before.

"So I'm told," I replied.  I glanced over at Gus, who was clenching his teeth and looking pained.  "Is this a horrible idea?" I asked.

Gus shrugged.  "Absolutely.  Unless it works, in which case it's a great idea."

"This will take some doing," the General intoned thoughtfully.

"But you can do it, right?" I asked anxiously.

"Of course," he replied.  I thought he sounded just a little offended, but I couldn't be sure.

"Great.  I'd like to help you do it," I said.

For the first time since I'd met him, General Gavsot smiled.  It was a thin, stiff, uncomfortable looking expression that only slightly managed to alter his grim demeanor.  "I have the perfect job for you," he said. 

"Great," I enthused.  "What is it?"

He said simply, "Bait."

No comments:

Post a Comment