Friday, July 27, 2012

The Way Back


The walk back to my office was long.

"I really think I need to learn this teleportation stuff," I said wearily.  "Walking all over Hell is getting pretty annoying."

Gus shrugged.  "You can try teleporting if you want, of course," he said.  "But it's not like your telekinesis.  Telepathic manipulation is much easier with things you can see.  Ripping open the wall and setting the air on fire is relatively simple.  Altering the contents of a room a mile away by adding yourself to it is much more difficult."

"Well, I won't know until I try," I reasoned.  "Here goes nothing."  I concentrated and attempted to will myself back to my office.  I squeezed my eyes shut.

I opened them.  Gus smiled at me and waved.  "Hi," he said.  "You didn't go anywhere.  Your body looked a little transparent for a second like it meant to go somewhere, though.  Some might say that's half the battle."

"That took a lot out of me," I panted.  "I think that was more exhausting than walking all the way back from the Department of Enforcement."

"Well," Gus said, "at least the Department of Transportation is a little closer."  He pointed to the door we'd arrived at labeled Waiting Room and opened it for me, stepping to one side to allow me to enter first.

And there I was, back where I started.  

No comments:

Post a Comment