Friday, September 7, 2012

Going Down


Azraal had literally dived for the desk.  He'd just barely made it in one desperate bound, too.  He caught himself on the desk, one hand clapped on the corner and the other reaching wildly across the surface, groping for the dagger.

As he turned to throw the knife at me, I focused again, and channeled Left Ear from the Italian Job.  I mentally ripped a hole in every floor of the building and the ceiling above me, and then forced it to become a reality. 

As Azraal spun and hurled the dagger, a chunk of the ceiling above me came loose in a jagged little circle around where the meat hook was mounted.  Simultaneously, the floor beneath my head crumbled, leaving just enough of a hole for my body to fall through.  I'd done it just in time, too, because as I fell, I felt the knife clang off of the meat hook just before I disappeared beneath the floor.  It sent agonizing vibrations along the hook and into my bloody feet, but it was a small price to pay for avoiding its poison.

I hurtled down three floors and collapsed painfully on the ground level.  I was aware, in the back of my mind, that this would probably have killed me if I'd still been completely human.  Instead, I was simply in an intense amount of pain. 

"He's on the ground floor!" I heard Azraal bellow from above me.  "Get him, you dumbfucks!"  I heard some rumbling and considered that perhaps some of the more powerful demons on the fourth floor were about to attempt the stunt I'd just pulled. 

I sat up, hurriedly but gingerly pulled the hook out of my feet, and tossed it aside.  I got to my feet, wincing at the pain, and, realizing that my fate depended heavily on my ability to quit worrying about the pain and just fucking move, I limped forward as fast as I could. 

Azraal erupted through the ceiling behind me, and a few of his security goons were only seconds behind him.  He still had the knife and an unwounded pair of feet.  He was coming fast.  

2 comments:

  1. I'm not even halfway through but this is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying it. I'd love to hear what you think when you finish the archives!

    ReplyDelete