Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Jorge's Office


Gus said Jorge needed to talk to me now. 

But I really, really wanted to enhance my supernatural powers.  I'd just repealed the Satanic Order that Kivra had made me sign, but I realized that, sooner or later, I'd have to stand up to her in person.

And for that, I'd need a little more oomph.

So I closed my eyes, focused as intensely as I could, and practiced teleporting.  I intended to teleport straight into Azraal's old office, which Jorge had recently settled into.  I failed.  But I did find myself standing in the middle of a barren wasteland of fire-tinged stone--within shouting distance of the front door to the Department of Transportation. 

I tried it again, and I found that this time it came a little more easily.  I'd missed my mark again, but I was standing right outside the door to Jorge's office.  I couldn't complain about my less-than-perfect success, because until then I hadn't really had any kind of success at all.

I opened the door and entered a room full of worried faces.  Jorge, Gus, and an LOD that I presumed to be Jorge's new aide all looked at me with the same somber expression.  The expression that says, "Oh, he is not going to like this."

"What's going on?" I asked.

Jorge, who was seated behind the desk, cleared his throat.  "Sir," he began, "two of my Low-Order Demons have gone AWOL.  In the course of my investigation into the whereabouts of my employees, I met this LOD who bunks next to them in the barracks."  He motioned toward the LOD, who, it appeared, was not actually his aide.  "Tell him what you told me, Wyver."

With his head angled downward in either fear or respect, Wyver stepped forward.  "Sir, I heard them talking yesterday.  They said they'd found a spell that would allow them to teleport into the world of the living."

"Oh," I said, impressed.  This did seem kind of important.  "So is that where they went?"

"I think so," Wyver nodded.  "They were talking about someone--I'm not sure who--who gave them the spell and wanted them to use it to go to your funeral, sir, and slaughter everyone there."

2 comments: