Monday, May 13, 2013

Setting Things in Motion, Part III

I arrived in the middle of the vast, stony plain outside the Barracks.  I pulled out my cell phone (or Hell phone, as Gus preferred to call it) and dialed Vilnius' number.

He picked up after six rings.  He did not sound happy to be communicating with me.  I think he might have some kind of heightened animosity toward him ever since Gus and I worked that spell on him that forced him to obey my orders.  Not that I blame him.

"Yes, your eminence?" he answered.

"Vilnius, my man," I said, matching his sarcasm.  "I need to talk to you.  I'm standing in the middle of nowhere outside the Barracks of the Damned.  Teleport to me.  Now."

"One moment please," he growled before promptly hanging up.  A moment later, he appeared almost a mile away from me, off to my right.  He looked around, saw me, and disappeared.  Then he was standing in front of me.

"The fuck do you want from me?" he grumbled.

"Unless you're utterly terrible at your job," I began, "You must know that your boys in the Department of Development found a bunch of demon-killing monsters and got themselves killed."

"I'd heard," he replied angrily, looking down.

"So here's how you're going to help fix it," I told him.  "You're going to assassinate Halkkor, their leader."

"Why me?" he whined.  "Pull some pussy spellwork on somebody else and make that guy do it."

I smiled.  "Because I pulled the pussy spellwork on you.  You don't have a choice.  And if you fail and Halkkor kills you, I've lost nothing."

He returned my smile with extra sarcasm.  "Superb.  Fine.  How do I kill this asshat?"

I shrugged.  "I'm working on that," I said.  "But when I find out, I'm going to call you, you're going to answer, and you're going to do it.  Okay?"

"It doesn't really matter if it's okay," he reminded me, nostrils flaring.  "Because I'll have to do it regardless."

"Good talk," I concluded.  I patted him gently on his horned head simply because I felt like pissing him off a little more.  "I'll be in touch."

And I teleported away, leaving him fantasizing of at least two dozen different methods of dismembering me.

No comments:

Post a Comment