Monday, June 24, 2013

Back to Enforcement

I arrived in the slightly repopulated Department of Enforcement.  It didn't feel like it was back up to full capacity yet, but it wasn't the ghost town it had been last time I visited.  And thankfully somebody had cleaned up the mess from the beheaded pit guard I'd stumbled upon.  A different pit guard, whose head seemed pretty firmly attached to his shoulders, was seated behind the desk.

"Sir?" he asked expectantly.

"Can you tell General Gavsot I'm here to see him?" I asked.

"Right away, sir."  He pressed what must have been some kind of intercom and spoke into it.  His voice echoed over a PA system that reminded me eerily of a supermarket's.  "General Gavsot, the Devil is here to see you in the foyer.  General Gavsot to the foyer."  I also found it weird that he bothered to pronounced foyer as foi-ey--he was a hideous creature bred in Hell and serving in Hell, but at least he had his class.  

Gavsot teleported in to the foi-ey a minute or two later.  "Hello, sir," he said briskly.  "What can I do for you?"

As quickly as I could, I told him about Vilnius's betrayal and death, my fight with Halkkor and Halkkor's current whereabouts.  He listened attentively, and, when I was finished, he simply asked, "What now?"

"I don't know," I admitted.  "I want to find a way to either determine whether or not he's dead, but I don't even know how to find him."

Gavsot nodded.  "I think I may know how," he said.  And he reached out, gripped me firmly by the shoulder, and psychically relocated us.

No comments:

Post a Comment