Friday, June 28, 2013

Circumventing Loyalty

"So what, we go over there and just start beating it out of him?" I asked.  "What's to stop him from just killing us?"

"He is not aware that you and Halkkor have terminated your partnership," Gavsot said.  "He will be bound to talk to you by his allegiance to his king."

"If I punch him in the face and ask him if Halkkor can survive falling into a lake of lava, I think he'll figure it out," I said.

"Then be less direct," Gavsot suggested.

"Fine," I said.  I stepped toward the gaggle of pit guards and motioned for them to lower their assortment of spears, lassos, hooks and pikes.  Niven, in the center of the group, glared at me as I approached.  He wasn't as big as Halkkor, but he also didn't appear to be as much the master of his rage as Halkkor.

"Do you know who I am?" I asked him.

"I remember," Niven replied curtly.

"Do you know what I want?" I asked.

"No," he said.

"I want to know what hurts you," I informed him.  I turned to Torvin, the demon attempting to keep charge of the frightened pit guards.  "Do we have a group of weapons or something for interrogations?"

"Yeah," Torvin replied, his eyes wide.  "I mean, yes, sir, we do."

"Bring them here for me," I said, trying to be as theatrically menacing as I could.  "Niven and I need to have a chat."

No comments:

Post a Comment