Friday, September 20, 2013

Another Introduction

“Finally!” said an exasperated female voice from the couch.  “I was getting so bored waiting for you to show up.  The waiting is the hardest part.  Every day you get one more yard.”  The game paused and the speaker got off of the couch.

She was strikingly hideous.  She could have been beautiful, but she wasn’t.  She shouldn’t have been ugly, but she was.  She looked like the offspring of a zombie and one of Hollywood’s most beautiful celebrities.  Her features all looked almost-perfect, but not-quite right.  Her slender, strong nose had a slight bend on the bridge like it had always been broken.  Her extraordinary blue eyes appeared permanently bloodshot, and the left one might have been crooked.  Her lips were plump, full, and pale gray.  Her teeth were perfectly aligned, like she’d just gotten braces off, but they were small and pointed.  Her skin was a blotchy, ashy color, but it appeared smooth and soft nonetheless.  The wavy blonde hair that tumbled just to her shoulders was greasy and a little tangled.

She was short and had an awkward, boyish gait as she strode toward me.  “Hey.  I’m Tithenai,” she said, extending a hand.

I shook it dumbly.  “Uh, Jason,” I mumbled.  “I mean, I’m the Devil.”

“Yeah,” she snorted.  “I know that, genius.”

“Azraal,” she said with a nod toward the head in Gus’s arms.  “Nice to see you again.  Reunited and it feels so good.  Reunited and it’s understood.”  She was clearly referencing the song, but it was somehow weirder that she quoted it solemnly than if she’d actually sung it.  Torvin and Jaelin exchanged a mildly puzzled glance.

“So,” I said slowly, hoping to get down to business but unsure of how to break the ice, “You’re…?”

“Lucifer’s daughter?” she finished.  “Yup.  That’s me.  I am I, Don Quixote, the Man of La Mancha.”

She was crazy.  At least, she sounded pretty crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment