Monday, September 23, 2013

Assessing Credibility

“So how do I know I can trust you?” I asked.  “I mean, no disrespect,” I added swiftly, “But your dad is kind of known as the Father of Lies and everything.”

Tithenai cocked her head at me.  “So?” she retorted.  “My mother was an angel.  Earth angel.  Will you be mine?”

Ignoring the creepy lyrical come-on, I leaned over to Gus and whispered, “Is that true?”

“Bro,” he said sharply, sounding a little disappointed.  “I didn’t even know she existed until like an hour ago.  How the hell would I know?”

“Right,” I said sheepishly.  Glancing hopefully toward Azraal’s head, which Gus had grown tired of carrying and set on the ground, I asked, “So, is that tr—”

“I’d never heard of her until yesterday,” Azraal snapped.  “Right now, you know everything about her that I do.”

I looked back at Gus and nodded in Azraal’s direction.  “Is that true?”  Gus gave me a chuckle.

“Acting on the assumption that he can’t be trusted has worked well for you in the past,” Jorge reminded me.

“Listen, whether not you trust me has nothing to do with who my parents are,” Tithenia cut in.  “I haven’t seen either of them in centuries.  I don’t care about them anymore.  I don’t care what you say.  I never did believe you much anyway.”

That sounded kind of sad—a child, eternally abandoned by both her parents, sitting alone in some cavity of Hell.  I was starting to feel kind of sympathetic toward this weird little demon-angel-tomboy-chick.  “So…what do you do?” I asked.


She shrugged.  “I play a lot of video games,” she said simply.

2 comments:

  1. I just stumbled across this yesterday and I noticed you don't get a lot of comments and I don't know what kind of analytics blogspot has... so I just wanted to mention great read so far, please continue, don't give up, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, that's very kind and always encouraging to hear. It's true I don't have many comments, but I know people are reading because of the analytics and the votes on Top Web Fiction. But I have no plans to give up until I've reached some kind of natural conclusion.

    I just hope I can keep you interested for that long!

    ReplyDelete