Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The Department of Development

I appeared in a creepy little corner of the underworld.  The rock here was mostly dark gray and jagged, as opposed to the smoother burnt-red shale of most of the other parts of Hell I’d visited.  It made the area seem darker and eerier. 

“Here we are,” Jaelin said.  “You ready?”

I looked around for a moment and said, “Yeah,” but once again she’d teleported me before I finished my short response.  I was back in my office with the teleportation equivalent of whiplash. 

“Okay,” I wheezed.  “I’ll take Gus, Gus will take Azraal’s head.  Jorge, you’re with Jaelin, and Torvin, you’re on your own.”  I scowled at him.  “Try not to fuck it up this time.”

He frowned at me.  I think he was actually offended.

“Let’s go,” I said, gripping Gus’s wrist tightly.  A moment later, I was back in that creepy cranny of Hell.  Jaelin and Jorge appeared beside me.  After a frustrating pause, Torvin finally teleported in a few yards behind us.

“So where to?” I asked.

Gus pointed to the rock wall a few hundred feet away.  “The door to the Department of Development is right there,” he said.  There was a black double-door set into the wall.  That was the only indication that there was anything other than rock here.  “So the crevice is…?”  He lifted Azraal’s head to our eye level, indicating that the bodiless demon should answer.

“Off to the right,” Azraal said.  “Behind that big stone spire sticking out the ground.”

Jorge was squinting.  “I think I see it,” he said, but he didn’t sound sure.

“I don’t mean to sound impatient,” Jaelin piped up.  “But is there anything else you need me to do?”

The black double-doors burst open suddenly and an angry mob poured out. 


“Why don’t you just tag along with us until further notice, Jaelin?” I suggested.  “I have a feeling we might need some help.”

6 comments:

  1. I hope Jaelin turns out to be badass. I would love a badass demon that is cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...let's just see if Jaelin gets herself into any situations warranting some badassery.

      Delete
  2. I don't consider myself a very good artist, but I'm hoping that if (read "when") this gets bigger that people will start fan-art-ing some of these characters. It'd be interesting to see people's different versions of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well I'm an atrocious artist, so I can guarantee I won't be offering any sketches!

      Delete
    2. But who would know what they look like better than you?

      Delete
  3. I'm comfortable leaving the details open to interpretation!

    ReplyDelete