Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Weighing the Options

“No, I mean, what do you do?” I asked, the repetition intended to communicate some level of specificity.  “Why are you in Hell?  What’s your role down here?”

Tithenai appeared confused.  “I play video games.  I just told you.  Told you everything loud and clear but nobody’s listening.”

I tried a different approach.  “So how is it that you supposedly know stuff like how to kill Lucifer’s Firstborn?”

“What, you want to see her credentials?” Gus wisecracked quietly.  I think he wanted to say it but he didn’t want anyone to hear him.  Azraal gave a slight smirk.

Tithenai grinned at me like I’d just told an awful joke.  “I’m Lucifer’s daughter,” she said, like it somehow explained everything perfectly.  “Listen, you should probably go and get on with your whole fighting off an invading army thing.  I’d like to get back to my game.  Head games.  Instead of makin’ love, we play head games.”

I had no idea how to respond to that, so she shrugged, flopped back down on her couch, and resumed playing.

I turned back to my comrades.  “What do you guys think?” I asked.

“She’s crazy,” Torvin said fearfully.  “Maybe she’s plotting to get us all killed by following her stupid directions.”

“What do the non-hysterical ones think?” I asked flatly.

“I agree with Torvin,” Jaelin admitted, patting him reassuringly on the shoulder.

“Hey, if she’s Lucifer’s daughter, I have to believe she’s plugged in to more old-school Hell stuff than just about anyone,” Gus reasoned.  “But I’d still like to try her idea out before you take another swing at Halkkor.”

“I think it would also be prudent to test this quietly,” Jorge added.  “If this works, this could help us defeat Halkkor’s army—but if we keep it our secret weapon, it can be that much more devastating.”


I nodded.  “Okay,” I said, rubbing my hands together with a lot of excitement and maybe a little evil.  “Let’s go get some blood.”

No comments:

Post a Comment