Monday, October 21, 2013

A Doctor in the House

The waiting room was drastically better populated than it had been upon my first visit, but it appeared that none of its occupants was a doctor.  I turned around just to make sure somebody behind me wasn’t patiently raising a hand or anything.

Nope.

With a noiseless puff of invisible smoke, a balding man appeared in one of the chairs a few feet away from me.  “You!” I barked out before he could get his bearings.  “Are you a doctor?”

Clearly intimidated, the man stammered, “Actuary.”

“Actuary?” I replied thunderously.  “What the hell is an actuary?”

Nervously, the man began, “Well, what I do is I take—”

“He’s not a doctor,” Gus interrupted.  “Let’s move on.”  The man breathed a sigh of relief as Gus steered me away from him.  “You might need to work on your people skills,” Gus whispered.

“I’m beginning to think that this may not be the best place to find a doctor,” I muttered.  A kid who couldn’t be more than twelve appeared a few seats away.  I frowned.  “Somehow I don’t think he’s one either.”

Jaelin and Torvin had wandered a bit and were quietly speaking with an attractive blonde woman.  I couldn’t hear any part of their conversation over “Every Rose Has Its Thorn” playing from the speakers above us until Jaelin turned and called out, “Does a dermatologist count?”

I shook my head dejectedly.  “Close, but I’d feel better if it was more an emergency room kind of doctor.”


And just like magic, a woman in scrubs appeared on the opposite side of the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment