Monday, October 7, 2013

A Parting of Ways

“With your permission, sir,” Gavsot said, “I would like to return to my Department.  I have been away longer than I would like and I need to ensure it is still in order.  And then I would like to return to the battlefield.”

I nodded.  “Okay.  That’s fine.  Uh…you’re excused.”

“I’d like to do the same,” Jorge said.  “Of course you can call me if you require my assistance, but I think I’ve been away from my responsibilities for too long as well.”

I’d gotten used to travelling around with a posse.  Gavsot was a badass and Jorge was levelheaded and reliable.  I felt more capable to live up to my fearsome job description with them at my side, but I realized that they had other things to do than follow me around. 

“Sure, no problem,” I said.

Gavsot stuck out his elbow like a tuxedoed gentleman waiting for his date to take his arm.  “I can drop you off at your office if you wish,” he offered. 

“Thanks,” Jorge said.  He gripped General Gavsot’s forearm and the two of them disappeared.

“Me too,” Torvin said hopefully.  “I should go back with Gavsot and help.”

“Nope,” I said.  “If you expect to skip class, you need a note from your mother.”  He seemed a little confused but he got the gist of it.  “Torvin, you’ll be my meat shield.  Jaelin, I need you to accompany us as backup in case something goes wrong and Torvin just pisses himself.  Gus, you’re my right hand man, buddy, I need you too.”

“What about me?” Sylnie asked.

“Well, you’re supposed to be the receptionist,” I said lamely.  “Um, you can stay here and, uh…recept.”  I paused.  “What exactly do you do when I’m not here, anyway?”

She smiled.  “Lots of things.  I tidy the place up a little.  Sometimes I assist with the waiting room stuff, even though that’s technically under the Department of Assignment.  And I’ve politely turned away a few damned souls who managed to find their way to your office.”

I raised my eyebrows.  “Cool.  Then keep doing that.  And do me a favor and explore more of those rooms back there by the armory and stuff.  It might be nice to know what useful things I have hidden away.”

“Of course, sir,” she said.  She looked happy to have an official assignment.


I turned to Gus, Jaelin and Torvin.  “Let’s go stab a murderer,” I said.

No comments:

Post a Comment