Thursday, October 24, 2013

Conscription

Gavsot seemed hesitant to come out and say it, but I think he was asking me for help.

“Do you want me to send you some more demons?” I asked.

“I do,” he said.  “But I do not think it is wise to send many.  Have you finished making your weapon?”

“I’m still working on it,” I said.

“I would appreciate any reinforcements you can send,” Gavsot said.  “But you will be sending them to their deaths if we still do not have a method for killing Lucifer’s Firstborn.  We need to save our heaviest forces for a final push once we can kill them.”

“That’s a good idea,” I replied.  “I’ll send you a few more demons and I’ll let you know if the weapon works.  What’s your location?”

“Sector 198 in the Department of Torture,” he said.  “But send reinforcements to Sector 197.  I do not want them to accidentally teleport into the middle of the wrong army.”

“Okay, General,” I said.  “Good luck down there.  And do me a favor—make sure you stay alive.  I know you’re a badass, but don’t do too much fighting yourself.  We need you more than anybody else.”

“Yes, sir,” he said, though I sensed he was agreeing hesitantly. 

I hung up and immediately called my Department Directors to request reinforcements.  Unsurprisingly, Kivra was the least helpful.  Although it was easier for me to assert myself over the phone, I only managed to get a donation of ten demons from her.  Jorge was the most helpful, offering fifty.  I got another thirty from Wakka and twenty from Winston, although he whined that his demons weren’t trained for combat and their absence in his department would lead to a backlog of unassigned souls in the waiting room.

In total, I was sending Gavsot only ninety more soldiers, increasing his army by a small fraction.  But if things were as dire as he claimed, he might only have a small fraction of his army left anyway.  I hoped ninety would be enough to at least help Gavsot slow Halkkor’s progress. 


In the meantime, however, I needed to finish making this weapon.

2 comments:

  1. A bit of a continuity error here? Soldiers came from Malkino? Wasn't he the guy who lost the "election" to the pit guard?
    RD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hang my head in shame.

      Yeah, that was supposed to be Wakka. Typos I prefer to avoid but I can accept. This, on the other hand....

      Anyway, I fixed it. Thanks!

      Delete