Friday, October 25, 2013

Stunt Work

I stowed my phone in my pocket, pulled out the crimson-stained dagger, took a running start toward the ledge, and launched myself into the air.  I figured jumping off the cliff would help me better judge the distance to the surface of the lava than blindly teleporting into the abyss.

The air rushing around me was already warm, but it grew hotter and hotter as I fell.  I held the dagger in front of me as I plummeted face first into what would probably be a source of incredible pain.  As the bubbling molten surface rushed up to meet me, I stuck my arm out as far as I could, focused on the moment the blade entered the liquid, and teleported away.

I appeared in the waiting room a few yards away from where Gus, Jaelin and Torvin were awaiting my return.  I held the blade up in front of me and saw it covered from tip to hilt in quickly cooling lava.  The hand that held it was unharmed.  For once, I’d executed my plan to absolute perfection.

“Woo hoo!” I shouted exultantly, waving the knife in the air as the damned souls stared at me in befuddlement and my comrades hurried over to congratulate me.

“Wow,” Gus said, admiring my handiwork.  “It’s like the work of a surgeon.”

“I’m so awesome,” I told him.  Anticipating his reply, I quickly added, “Anyway, now I’m off to dip this in the waters of Earth.”


And I teleported away again.

5 comments:

  1. By the way this was the 200th installment of The New Devil. Hooray for milestones!

    If you've read this far, I owe you a big thanks! I hope you guys are enjoying this even half as much as I enjoy writing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! It's great -- can't stop reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for all the support. These comments made my day!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad people other than me get a kick out of this stuff!

      Delete