Monday, November 25, 2013

A Little Background

Between the two of us, Jaelin and I made quick work of the pile of weapons.  I prided myself on the fact that, even if I was too stupid to think of this more effective method of dipping them in the lake of fire, at least I was better at the telekinesis than she was.  Once she tried to do more than three or four at a time, she began to lose her pinpoint control over them.  I, on the other hand, managed to mentally control the movements of more than twenty of them at a time without sacrificing precision.

Considering most of the blades were still too hot to comfortably touch, we used our combined abilities to move the pile at the edge of the cliff back into the plastic container.

“Next?” Jaelin said expectantly as we finished.

“Next,” I responded, “we go upstairs and do the same thing with a lake of water.”

“You mean…in the Realm of the Living?” she clarified.  She sounded awed and hushed.  I glanced at her and her facial demeanor confirmed the assessment. 

“You’ve never been there, have you?” I said.

She shook her head.  She seemed almost reverent.  “It’s extremely unusual,” she told me.  “I knew one demon once, a long time ago, who was sent there as a punishment.”

“Couldn’t he just come right back?” I asked.

“No,” she said with a deep sigh.  She seemed genuinely affected by the story she was telling.  “The Devil at the time worked a spell on him that crippled him.  He couldn’t teleport or be teleported anymore.  He worked the spell on him while they were in the Realm of the Living and then he just left him there.”  She gave me a glossy-eyed look and concluded, “He’s been trapped there for two hundred years, all alone.”

Was this the bonding moment we hadn’t had?  It was weird to see her like this, all emotional and vulnerable, considering she was usually so unflappable and agreeable.  “A good friend of yours, I take it?” I asked.

“You have no idea,” she summarized tersely.

I also had no idea what I should do.  Should I hug her?  Should I just go back to business?  Should I sit down with her and let her tell me the whole story despite the fact that we were on an extremely time-sensitive mission?  Or was she the type who’d respond best to a quick slap on the shoulder and some gruff advice to buck up?

She solved my problem for me.  “Sorry,” she said, blinking the beginnings of tears away.  “We have work to do.  Let’s get down to it and kick some Firstborn butt.”

“Sure,” I said.

6 comments:

  1. Aw. I want to hear the story of the banished demon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess Jaelin is just too absorbed in the task at hand.

      Delete
    2. Just think of it as foreshadowing. It will probably come up eventually (probably sooner than later, unfortunately for Jason)
      RD

      Delete
    3. Oh, I'm sure Alex is foreshadowing. I just felt like being difficult. :)

      Delete
  2. It's not like it's important or anything. Just a bunch of rampaging Firstborn who want to kill everyone. Sheesh. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, when you put it like THAT...

      Delete