Sunday, November 10, 2013

Grudge Match

A strong rust-colored arm dragged me away from Winston’s desk and threw me on the ground in a corner of the office.  “Have a little respect,” Dramien snarled.  “That man is the best fucking employee you have and he’s done nothing against you.”

I squinted at him, feeling the anger already brimming in me starting to overflow.  “Seriously?” I spat.  “Whether I’m out of line or not, what made you think it was a good idea to fucking attack me?  I’m the goddamn Devil.  You do not want me as your enemy.”

Dramien’s mouth spread into an amused grin.  Then he actually chuckled at me—or scoffed, actually, which was worse.  “No, you have it backwards, newbie,” he explained condescendingly.  “You don’t want me as your enemy.”

I took a step closer to him so that he could get a better sense of just how much bigger I was.  Though he craned his neck to look up at me, I got the sense that my vertical superiority didn’t intimidate him in the slightest.  “I’m kind of having a bad day,” I growled at him.  “And you might not want to piss me off right now because I will destroy you.”

He flashed me a toothy grin.  “Good luck,” he taunted
.
I reached out and grabbed him by the neck.  To my surprise, he didn’t struggle much as I held him by his throat with his feet dangling a good twelve inches off the ground. 

“Exam Room 316,” Winston said suddenly.  I was still choking Dramien, and we both looked over to stare at him.

“Exam Room 316,” he repeated.  “Reuttiger is assigning a man in room 316 who shot his wife and three children before killing himself.”

“Thanks,” I said.

Impatiently, Winston added, “So what’s more important to you, showing my aide how much you dislike him or doing whatever urgent thing you burst in here to do?”  He looked at me expectantly.


After a second’s hesitation, I violently threw Dramien to the floor and teleported to the hallway outside Exam Room 316.

No comments:

Post a Comment