Monday, November 4, 2013

Tithenai's Explanation

I materialized in Tithenai’s cavern in a blinding rage.  She was seated at her couch, playing what appeared to be the original Duke Nukem, when I stormed in from behind her.

She sensed me coming, got to her feet, and threw her palms out defensively.  “Hey, wait a second, I can explain,” she said.  “Just take it easy.  Take it easy.  Don’t let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy.”

It seemed like she knew I would be mad before she even turned around to see me, and her accurate anticipation of my reaction made everything look like some elaborate setup—although I didn’t know what I was being set up for.  “You knew this would happen?” I thundered.  “Why the fuck would you send me on this wild goose chase?!”

I was stomping toward her and she was backing away just as quickly.

“I didn’t know you’d use the wrong blood,” she said quickly.  “I’m psychic but I can’t see the future.”

I stopped.  “What did you say?”

She cocked her head at me as though she were slightly confused.  “Which part of that was most significant?” she asked. 

“Let’s start with the part about you being psychic,” I snarled.  “Don’t you think that would have been a useful thing to mention to me earlier?”

She shrugged.  “I just assumed that Azraal would have mentioned that to you before he brought you here.  I’m sorry, Uncle Albert.  We’re so sorry if we caused you any pain.”


Stashed in a desk drawer in my office, Azraal’s head was probably cackling to itself right now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment