Sunday, December 22, 2013

Arranging a Meeting

“That’s actually not a terrible idea,” I admitted after a stunned silence.  I pulled out my Hell phone and dialed Vilnius’s number, reminding myself that I needed to change the contact name from Vilnius to Wakka whenever I got a free moment.  Not that I was likely to have many of those.

After the first ring, Wakka picked up.  “Devil,” answered the Pit Guard, sounding only slightly less irritable than when we’d met.  “What can I do for you?”

“Hi, Wakka,” I said.  I still felt kind of silly speaking his name aloud.  “I need to get in touch with Malkino.  He’s still in your Department, right?”

Wakka let out a low growl.  “In response to certain political pressures, I have been forced to retain him as a close advisor,” he grated.

“I might be able to help you with some of that political pressure,” I told him.  “Can you tell Malkino I need to speak with him immediately?  I’ll be waiting outside the front entrance of your Department.”

“I’m not his receptionist,” Wakka said sourly.

“I know that, Wakka, but I didn’t have another way to contact him,” I said with as much sincerity as I could.  “Just deliver the message for me.  I might be able to get him out of your hair.”

“I’ll tell him,” he replied curtly.  He hung up before I could thank him.

With a hopeful nod toward Jaelin and Gus, I said, “Okay, here goes,” and teleported down to the Department of Developstruction.

As I appeared in front of the dark gray stone wall that marked the entrance to the Department, I saw Malkino leaning against it, waiting for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment