Friday, December 20, 2013

Back to the Plan

I may have been absent longer than I intended.  Jaelin was gone.  Kivra’s bodyguards were gone.  The only things left were a small patch of fractured earth where I’d ripped the ground up and the innumerable gory chunks of the one demon I’d managed to kill.

I was struck with another wave of panic.  Was Jaelin dead?  Had the goons captured her and taken her back to the Department of Torture?  They’d had orders to kill her, but I’d hoped that they’d adapted their plans once their leader was taken.  With a little luck, they’d be holding Jaelin hostage so that we could trade prisoners.  With a little more luck, Jaelin had teleported to safety.  I jumped back to my office.

Just as I’d hoped, Jaelin was there, talking with Gus and Torvin.  She glanced over at me when I appeared.  “What happened with Kivra?” she asked.

“She’s currently imprisoned in the Department of Enforcement,” I told her.  “She’s your sister?”

“Technically, she’s my half-sister,” Jaelin admitted with a shrug.  “You can’t pick your family, right?”

“Good point.  What happened with Kivra’s bodyguards?” I asked.

“I don’t know.  I got the hell outta there as soon as you disappeared,” she said.  “I was supposed to back you up, but you were gone, and I wasn’t in the mood for a one-on-twelve fight.”

“One-on-eleven,” I corrected pointlessly.  “I killed the one, remember?”

“Sorry, I had more important things to worry about than counting,” she replied good-naturedly.

“Listen, I’m glad you guys are both okay,” Gus cut in, “But don’t you still need to get your army?”

“Right,” I said, slightly embarrassed.  “Okay, Jaelin, I need you to take over as Director of Torture and supervise the assembly of the Pit Guard army.”

Jaelin’s eyes bulged.  She put her hands up in front of her, palms outward.  “Whoa, whoa, whoa, all due respect, sir, but that is really not my thing.”

4 comments:

  1. Aaaaand looks like RD was right! C'mon Jaelin. You got this shit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RD and Jason had the same idea. Jaelin did not!

      Delete
  2. Whoop, first snag in the plan.

    Well, since the last snag anyway.

    ReplyDelete