Saturday, December 7, 2013

Corroboration

I spoke her name to get her attention, but she had already paused her game and started getting to her feet.  “Hi there,” she greeted me cheerfully.  I was again struck by her features’ disturbing approximation of beauty.

“Hi,” I replied tensely.  “I wonder if you can do me a favor.”

“After the way you stormed into my cave of solitude last time?” she countered.  “Are you going to play nice?  This tune should be hittin’ you so.”

“I’m sorry about that,” I said.  I realized that, considering my sense of urgency, my apology probably didn’t come across as sincere.  But she laughed good-naturedly.

“I was just messing around.  I’m not mad,” she assured me.  “You can relax.  Don’t do it.  When you wanna go to it.  So what’s on your mind?”

I hesitated.  “Don’t you already know?”

“Bits and pieces,” she said with a casual shrug.  “I know events, but not people’s thoughts.  And the more recently stuff happened, the fuzzier it is.  Something about Halkkor’s spell?”

“Yeah, can you explain exactly how that worked?” I asked.

“Sure,” she said accommodatingly.  “It was a simple banishing spell.  All he needed was the right incantation and a demon heart to ingest and he was all set.  It forces teleportation on all demons within a certain radius, probably around half a mile or so.  They get scattered in the same direction, kind of like grapeshot.  Odds are all your demons wound up approximately the same distance away from the battlefield, but spread out.”

“And this only works on demons?” I clarified.

“It didn’t work on you or the Firstborn, so I’d say yes,” she said judiciously.  “Whether you will’s anybody’s guess. God only knows I’m trying my best.  But I’m—”

“Is there a similar spell he could use on, say, Pit Guards?” I interrupted.

She shook her head.  “The Pit Guards were never really big players, so there hasn’t been much spellwork developed that’s devoted to their manipulation.”

I grinned.  “Then I guess that’s why they’re about to become big players.  Thanks for your help,” I added.

“No probs,” she responded, settling back onto her couch.

7 comments:

  1. Seems like she's serious'd up a bit. Not quite as many lyrics coming out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What, you've never heard the song "Teleportation on All Demons Within a Certain Radius?" It was on all the charts a few years back.

      Delete
  2. Ohhhhh. Now that you mention it... Wasn't that the one by that dude?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the guy that had that hair. You know the one I mean.

      Delete
    2. Of course! And now his songs are being quoted by the daughter of Lucifer. Who'd'a thunk?

      Delete
    3. You know you've hit the big time when your songs are quoted in Hell.

      Delete