Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Devastation

My army had simply vanished, weapons and all.  General Gavsot was gone.  Jaelin was gone.  Had Halkkor killed them all?  Had I somehow become even more fucked than I was at the beginning of all this?

I didn’t have a lot of time to contemplate the irreconcilable hopelessness of my predicament, however, because Halkkor was charging me, blades flashing, blood dripping from his mouth and grinning hungrily. I froze for a second before recovering my wits and teleporting away, moments ahead of an impact.

I arrived in my office.  My whole body was shaking.  My fingernails tapped arrhythmically against the hilt of my sword.  My knees wobbled.  My breath came in intermittent gulps of thin air.  I felt nauseous.  I fell to my knees to stave off vertigo.

Holy fuck.  I was so dead.   I had no army.  I had a whole slew of evil creatures intent on killing me roaming free and unchecked somewhere downstairs.  I was so convinced of how bleak my situation was that I couldn’t do anything except kneel there, wheezing, and think about how bleak my situation was.

I finally had a useful thought.  I fumbled in my pocket for my phone. With quivering fingers, I dialed Gavsot. It rang.

It rang again.

Someone picked up.  “Yes?” came the unmistakable voice of my Director of Enforcement.   

I let out a long sigh of relief.  “General,” I breathed.  “You’re alive.  Where are you?”

“I am somewhere…unfamiliar,” he said.

“Is the rest of the army there?” I asked hopefully. “Is Jaelin with you?”

“I am alone,” he replied.  “It seems my ability to teleport has been limited, but I can feel it returning.”

Perhaps Halkkor’s heart-eating spell only banished the demon army and temporarily sapped their powers?  That would actually be good news.  “Well, whatever,” I told him.  “As soon as you’re able, teleport to me in my office.  We need to figure out how to get past whatever the hell Halkkor just did.”

5 comments:

  1. Right now, I'm just proud of Jason for remembering to teleport. He's come such a long way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This doesn't relate to the post, but I really dig the new header (is that what that's called?). Creepy and evil looking, yet cool. Seems to fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really wanted something less tacky than the old one but that kind of thing is not my forte. (Ugh.) I'm glad to hear it looks okay!

      Delete
  3. Ha, a rational response to overwhelming odds. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete