Friday, December 13, 2013

Kivra's Stance

“That’s one more reason why we should be working together,” I told Kivra.  “He wants both of us dead.”

“You could look at it that way,” she said with a shrug.  “I prefer to see what Halkkor and I have in common.  Both of us want you removed as the ruler of Hell.”

“Because you’d be a much better Devil,” Jaelin retorted sarcastically.  She was bristling with rage.  Every muscle in her body was poised as though she expected Kivra to attack at any moment.  I wondered just how likely that was.

“Right,” Kivra said dryly, dismissing Jaelin’s taunt.  Addressing me, she continued, “Listen, though my sister here may be perfectly happy to board a sinking ship, I prefer to keep my head above water.  So forgive me if I left my Team Jason t-shirt at home.”

That sent my mind spinning.  Clearly, she was not interested in an alliance.  Apparently she felt her chances of survival were better without me.  At least I had a plan.  Maybe she had one too.  What other option did she have other than killing Halkkor?  And what other way could she do it than with the method I was using?  Was there another way?  Had she referred to Jaelin as her sister?  And had she just made a reference to Twilight fandom?

After a silence that was probably inappropriately long, I cleared my throat.  “Do what you have to do,” I told her.  “But until Halkkor kills me, I’m still in charge.  So I’m going to need you to give me an army of Pit Guards.  Thousands.  As many as you can spare and more.”

She laughed.  I don’t know why I expected anything else.

5 comments:

  1. Ooh, Kivra and Jaelin backstory. I hope we see more of that.

    Also, I feel sorry for Jason every time he has to speak to Kivra. He doesn't stand a chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In his shoes, I might have died of embarrassment by now.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Haha, yep. This is where Lost would make that weird noise and cut to the titlecard.

      Delete
  3. Rather than even mention 'however many you can spare' he probably could have just skipped to 'all of them'. Less wiggle room for the demonatrix to screw him over.

    ReplyDelete