Sunday, December 8, 2013

The Next Step

I returned to my office feeling optimistic again.  Everyone looked up expectantly to hear how my meeting with the psychic had gone.  “Based on what Tithenai says,” I announced, “I think this plan with the Pit Guards could work.”

“Great,” Gus sighed.  “It’s always good to consult with Lucifer’s daughter before you go and commit genocide.”

“It’s not genocide if they live through it,” I snapped.  “I’m not using the Pit Guards because they’re expendable, I’m using them because they’re useful.  Besides, they have a better chance of surviving if they fight Halkkor than if they’re conquered by him.”

“I’m sorry, I don’t know why I said that, sir,” Gus said contritely, adding, “It sounded funnier in my head.”

“What do you need from us?” Jorge asked.

“Well,” I said, “I guess we need to round up an army of Pit Guards.  The more, the better.  Thousands.  I want them to overrun the army of the Firstborn.”  Gus chuckled.  I turned to look at him and discovered that his was not a happy kind of laughter.  “What’s wrong?” I asked.

“You want an army of thousands of Pit Guards,” he said, shaking his head.

“Yeah…?” I prompted. 

“You know where the best place to find enormous amounts of Pit Guards is?” he asked me.

I was still a little annoyed because of his earlier comment, but now I felt like he was treating me like an idiot.  “Well?” I said impatiently.  “Where?”

“The Department of Torture,” he said sadly.  “You need to get them from Kivra.”

Of course.  It had to be Kivra.  “Oh, fuck me,” I whined.

3 comments:

  1. Might be a formatting problem here. Judging from the rest of the lines, shouldn't there be another line after the sentence "he asked me." and before "I was still a little annoyed..."?

    And the big question of course being who Jason will take with him to witness him being humiliated by Kivra. Worse come to worse, it might just be easier to try to steer the Firstborn into her.
    RD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fixed that formatting error. Thanks for the catch.

      And considering that the Firstborn have been wreaking havoc on Kivra's department this whole time, steering them into her might not be a bad idea. But the Department of Torture is a huge place....

      Delete
  2. Ha. Well, this should be entertaining. :)

    ReplyDelete