Monday, January 20, 2014

A Second Offer

Under General Gavsot’s capable oversight, our forces coordinated a simultaneous assault from every direction.  As the armies collapsed in on themselves, it looked like a singularity had erupted in the center of the battlefield.  I contributed long-range telekinetic strikes while maintaining my vantage point as the fighting became more brutal.  Within minutes, however, I could no longer easily spot any Firstborn amid the flashing swords and flailing limbs.

I teleported over to Gavsot.  “Pull them back,” I said.  “There can’t be many of those things left.”
When the tide of my armies receded back into its former donut shape, only nine harried-looking Firstborn remained standing amid the carpet of corpses.

I materialized a short distance in front of them and addressed them publicly.  “One last time,” I boomed, “you have a chance to surrender.  As much of a pain in my ass as you guys are, I’m not usually in favor of wiping out an entire species.  If you keep fighting, you will all die.”

One of them spoke up hoarsely.  “What will be our fate should we accept your offer?”

“You won’t die,” I reiterated.

“But what will be our fate?” he pressed.

“I don’t know,” I admitted.  “I guess you could go to work in Hell alongside the demons and Pit Guards.  Although don’t expect any positions of power or influence.  And we can’t have you running around killing stuff, so we’ll probably need to get rid of those blades of yours.  We could probably amputate them with these special weapons I made.  That should work.”

“Then our choice is to die or live and be mutilated?” another Firstborn said indignantly.

I shrugged.  “Pretty much, yeah.  Seems like a no-brainer to me, but you guys don’t seem like the brightest bunch, so it’s up to you.”

“I’d rather die,” the second one declared defiantly.

I sent a sword streaking through his chest.  He collapsed in a juicy heap of crumbling bones.  “You’re welcome,” I said.  “The rest of you?” 

The eight remaining Firstborn opted for the more reasonable choice.  I watched solemnly, flanked by Gavsot and Jaelin, as teams of demons hacked off the deadly blades from the Firstborns’ arms.

“I was not expecting you to extend mercy,” the general commented quietly.

“Me neither,” Jaelin agreed.

“I wasn’t planning to,” I admitted with a shrug.  “But I guess I can always change my mind later if I need to,” I added darkly.

1 comment: