Friday, February 21, 2014

The First Arrivals

Gavsot began transporting the Directors to the lecture hall as they arrived in my office.  The first one he teleported in with was a familiar face—Jorge.  The General left him at the doorway and disappeared again, no doubt to ferry over another guest.

"Jorge," I said, enjoying the way my voice boomed from the front of the room.  "Thanks for coming."

"Of course, sir," he said with a nod.  "Congratulations on your victory.  I hear it was both bloody and decisive."

"That it was," I agreed solemnly.  I motioned to the center of the room.  "Please, take a seat."

As he took a spot in the second row, Gavsot appeared to drop off a demon I didn't know.  The newcomer's long lean swimmer's body was almost entirely a pale oceanic blue.  He had a disarming smile and the many horns adorning his head were on the small side, making him seem just a little more human than most other demons I'd met.

"Hi," he said, positively gliding down the stairs to greet me.  "I'm the Director of Housing.  The name's Fikhos."  He extended a hand and I shook it.

"Good to meet you," I said.  "I'm the Devil."

He laughed charmingly.  "I know who you are, sir," he said.  "That's why I wanted to introduce myself.  It's a pity we haven't met before."

"I'm sure it reflects well on the way you run your department that I haven't had the need to visit you yet," I said diplomatically.

He chuckled again.  "I'm sure," he said.

In the brief moment we'd been speaking, the room had started to fill up with arrivals.  There were roughly a dozen Directors standing near the back of the room.  I saw Wakka, Winston, Malkino and several faces I didn't recognize.

I told Fikhos to have a seat.  It was time for me to meet my governors and get the union in working order.

6 comments:

  1. "I shook >h<it"

    So now the big question is how do meetings start in hell. On one hand I imagine they'd argue over what drinks are to be served, but since these are possible bureaucrats, they may just argue over what the first line of the greeting should be.
    RD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shudder to think what kind of beverages some of those demons would prefer. "The blood of my enemies, on the rocks, with a twist of lime."

      Thanks for the typo catch.

      Delete
    2. I suppose a witty joke would be out of the question?

      Delete
    3. "I just flew in from the Department of Torture and boy are my arms tired."

      Not what you meant?

      Delete
    4. "What's black, white, and red all over? A bloodthirsty penguin."

      Delete
    5. That's probably better for this audience than mine was!

      Delete