Wednesday, March 26, 2014

A Different Tack

I didn’t know what to do. 

To a certain extent, it didn’t matter which demon Niven worked for—he wasn’t going to talk.  Whoever was giving him his orders was probably a soulless son of a bitch and even at my worst I wouldn’t be able to compete with that kind of evil.  I wouldn’t be able to scare Niven any more than his boss already had.

I turned to Jaelin and Sylnie for a mid-interrogation huddle.  “Any ideas, you two?” I whispered.

Synlie gave me a sympathetic glance.  “You won’t be able to scare Niven any more than his boss already has,” she told me.

“I was thinking the exact same thing,” Jaelin agreed quietly.

“But what are we going to do about it?” I asked.  “There’s no word from Fikhos about Rathros’s whereabouts.  If Rathros disappeared or got himself murdered by a different hit man, Niven could be our only lead.  We need to get something useful out of him.”

“So see what else he knows,” Jaelin said.  “He’s not willing to reveal who he’s working for, but that doesn’t mean he won’t tell us something useful.”

“True,” I murmured pensively. 

I withdrew myself from the huddle and approached my captive.  “Do you know anything about a demon named Sebrev?”

Niven nodded.  “Yeah.  Real sweetie pie.  You know he crochets?  He was going to make me a beanie but then some extracurricular activities got in the way and he just couldn’t find the time.”

I snorted derisively.  “Okay, look, I don’t have time to parse through every piece of that with my bullshit detector, so I need you to speak very plainly here.  Yes or no—do you know a demon named Sebrev?”

“Yes.”

“Do you know where he is?”

“Yes.”

My mouth hung open.  This line of questioning was a long shot.  I hadn’t expected much, and I hadn’t expected it to come so quickly.  “Wait.  Seriously?  You know where Sebrev is?”

Niven flashed an unnerving grin.  “Last I heard he was in the Department of Historicity.  After his last engagement he’s been consigned to research duty.  Management seemed concerned that he got himself recognized.”

No comments:

Post a Comment