Thursday, March 6, 2014

Demon-napped

"The demons?" I asked in disbelief.  "The demons were wearing the cloaks?  I didn't think demons generally wore anything."

"It's not very common," Sylnie commented.  I guessed from her inflection that she harbored a little resentment over having to wear the maid outfit all the time.  But that wasn't exactly an important problem right now.

"I'd never seen anything like it before," Jaelin continued.  "They attacked Torvin and they tried to grab me, but when I fought back it looked like they gave up on me and just grabbed him instead.  I can't believe I let this happen," she added, shaking her head with frustration.

"It's not your fault," Sylnie reminded her softly.

"They were trying to kidnap you?" I asked.

"Yes," she said.  "That's exactly what they were trying to do."

"How do you know?" Sylnie asked.

She took a deep breath.  "Because the one that was in charge told the others to ignore Torvin and take me.  When I broke one of their legs, he told them just to take Torvin."

"'Take?' That was the word he used?" I said.

"Yes," Jaelin confirmed.  "And I recognized his voice, too.  It was Sebrev."

I didn't recognize the name.  I looked to Gus for help.  He offered me an apologetic shrug.

"I know him," Sylnie said somberly.  "I can't believe he'd be involved in something like this, but I know him.  I worked with him in the Department of Transportation."

I rolled my eyes.  "I know, it's shocking that a demon might be involved in a violent crime, right?"  I'd forgotten that I was talking to two demons.  They reminded me of my bigotry with matching scowls.  "Sorry," I said swiftly.  "Um…this Sebrev...I'm assuming he's still with Transportation?"

"Yeah, as far as I know," Sylnie replied.  "In fact, I think he's one of Jorge's personal aides."

No comments:

Post a Comment