Monday, March 3, 2014

Intelligence Gathering

I arrived in Tithenai's private cavern to find that, unsurprisingly, she was stretched out on her couch with a controller in her hand.

"Hey," she greeted me without looking up.

I squinted at her screen.  "Mario Kart?  Seriously?"

She let out a short snicker.  "Yeah, I know.  It's not my usual thing.  But sometimes I get tired of the serious games and I have to play something silly for a while.  Helps me relax.  Don't do it.  When you wanna go to it."

"You did that one already."

She furrowed her brow.  "What?"

"Never mind," I said.  "I was wondering if we could talk for a minute."

"That's not what we're doing right now?" she asked.

"I meant if you could pause the game and give me your full attention," I clarified.

"I'm a psychic.  My mind's all over the place," she reminded me.  "There's no such thing as my full attention."  Perhaps just to make me feel better, she paused the game anyway, sat up, and made eye contact.  "So what's going on?  I said hey—what's going on?"

"I just wanted to ask you if there were any important developments that I should know about," I said.  I didn't tell her that I had stopped by because I had a mounting paranoia and nothing else to do.

"What kind of developments?" she asked, emphasizing my word as though the terminology were absurd and unnecessary.

"You know, like a looming crisis or something.  Halkkor two-point-oh.  That kind of thing."  In my self-conscious state I wondered if Tithenai ever felt this exposed in her cavern.  It may have been tucked away out of sight, but there was such a tremendous amount of open space that her little electronic oasis seemed like a target in a crosshair.  An entire army of demons could teleport in and swarm her and there would still be plenty of room left.

"Probably," she told me.  "But that's just the way it is.  Some things will never change.  That's just the way it is."

3 comments:

  1. Probably? Does Tithenai work for the CIA?
    RD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you don't go through a metal detector or forfeit bottles containing over three ounces of liquid in order to see her, so we can probably rule out Homeland Security. And TSA.

      Delete