Friday, March 14, 2014

Square One

Fikhos shook his head sadly.  “I’m really sorry, folks, but that’s not a lot of information to go on.  If you want me to, I could round up every green demon in my whole department.  Would you recognize him if you saw him?”

“None of us have actually...seen him,” I answered.  This was a little embarrassing, but Fikhos was being gracious about it.

“I’m not even convinced our witness would even recognize him again,” Jaelin muttered under her breath.  “I’m not even convinced the demon is green.  Or that he was from this department.  Or that he even exists.”
“Maybe we need to find another lead,” I agreed. 

“We could try and figure out where those demons were getting the cloaks,” Sylnie suggested.  “We could talk to the Department of Reprocessing.”

I rolled my eyes.  “That place where you guys mysteriously get your DVDs?”

“It’s more than that,” she said defensively.

“I’m sorry,” Fikhos cut in.  “What are we talking about here?  Cloaks?”

“The demons who attacked my aides were wearing cloaks and masks,” I told him.   

“Then the Department of Reprocessing is a good idea,” he replied.  “They should have a record of who those items were given to.”  Sylnie swelled with pride at his affirmation but he didn’t seem to respond.  I took more than a little pleasure from that.

“I agree,” Jaelin said softly.  “In fact, I’m a little ashamed that I didn’t think of that first.”

“Sorry I couldn’t be of more help to you, sir,” Fikhos apologized sincerely, giving me another of his now-trademark handshakes.  “Let me know if I can do anything else for you.”

“Will do,” I said.  “Thank you.”  Turning to Jaelin, I asked, “So I take it you’ve been to the Department of Reprocessing before?”

She gripped me and Sylnie by the shoulders and teleported the three of us away.  Apparently she knew what I was going to say next.

No comments:

Post a Comment