Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Taken

I quickly thanked Tithenai.  She gave a curt nod and resumed her game of Mario Kart as I disappeared.  My phone was still ringing when I materialized in my office.  Gus, who had his own phone pressed to his ear, hung up when he saw me. 

"What's going on?" I asked, looking around the room.

Jaelin was seated on the floor, her arms pulling her knees in against her chest.  She had a huge gash extending from one cheek, across her nose, and over her eye. The wound appeared to be healing, but she was covered in blood and I was pretty sure that most of it wasn't hers.  She wasn't crying, but she seemed to be on the verge.  Sylnie was crouching beside her with a sympathetic arm around her shoulders.

"What's going on?" I repeated.

"They took Torvin," Jaelin whimpered.

I'd never seen her show anything close to this level of weakness or vulnerability.  I had no idea how to behave around her.  But I also had no idea what she was talking about.  "Who took him?" I asked.  "What do you mean, took?"

I'd spoken more brusquely than I intended to.  Sylnie flashed me a reproving glare and Gus murmured, "Hey, go easy."

"I'm sorry," I said, making a concerted if only partially successful effort to sound gentler.  "I just…I need to know what happened."

Jaelin gathered her characteristic strength and looked me in the eye.  "We'd just come back from our vacation," she explained.  "I was dropping Torvin off at his bunk in the Department of Enforcement when a bunch of demons appeared.  There were maybe five or six of them.  They were wearing these dark hooded cloaks with masks or something."

5 comments:

  1. Once they realize who they have, I'm sure they'll return him right away.
    RD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With a post-it note on his chest saying "thought he was someone important, never mind"?

      Delete
    2. What's the point of trying to kidnap a teleporter?

      Delete
    3. I mean...there are ways of making a teleporter not a teleporter anymore...

      Delete