Saturday, March 8, 2014

Thinking it Through

Jaelin got to her feet, gritting her teeth angrily.  "We start by kicking down the door to the barracks in Transportation and cutting off Sebrev's limbs one by one until he tells us where we can find my sweet."

I shot her a boggled glance. "My sweet?"  Gus masked a chuckle by coughing a little too loudly.

"Torvin," she corrected abashedly.  "Until he tells us where we can find Torvin."

"Right," I said.  "Well, if Jorge was here, I'm sure he'd tell us all to take a deep breath and think this through before we do anything rash."

"Good thing he's not here then," Jaelin said with feigned pleasantness. 

"Okay, so obviously we need to talk to this Sebrev guy, since he's kind of our only lead," I admitted.  "But we should have as much information going in as we possibly can.  We don't know who these demons are, what their cloaks and masks mean, what they want, or what they're doing with Torvin.  We need to know what's going on or we'll probably just wind up getting ourselves into more trouble."

Jaelin glared at me.  "Fine," she said stubbornly.  "But I'm only agreeing because you're making sense.  And I'm not saying I won't cut any of Sebrev's limbs off."

"Just as long as you're willing to put a pin in that for later," I grinned.

"So what are you saying?" Sylnie asked.

"I'm saying I get to have another lovely chat with Tithenai," I replied.  "You guys…stay here.  Make some calls or whatever.  Talk to some people.  But don't do anything substantial until I get back.  Okay?"

"If Jaelin tries to do anything crazy, Boss-Man, I'll just overpower her with my superior strength," Gus assured me, puffing out his chest.

"And when that fails, I'll at least mop up his blood," Sylnie said.  "No reason to leave all that mess in your office."

"Good to know who I can count on," I said.  "I'll be right back."

I appeared a moment later in a much different version of Tithenai’s cave from the one I’d last seen.  The couch was overturned.  A controller lay upside down on the rock floor.  The television screen said "Game Over." The sparseness of the room made it easily evident that Tithenai was gone.  I immediately returned to my office.

"Yeah, we're going to need to modify the plan a little bit," I announced.

7 comments:

  1. I'm suspecting a Rage Quit before a kidnapping.
    RD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She got called a n00b by a twelve-year-old one too many times...

      Delete
    2. She probably fell over the edge of 'Rainbow Road' one too many times.

      Delete
    3. Heh. That can take quite a toll on the psyche.

      Delete
    4. How can so happy a place produce such misery.
      TEG

      Delete