Thursday, March 20, 2014

Trust Issues

"Oh, that's nice," Jaelin snarled.  "When I said I had your back all those times, I was lying."

"And when I said I'd have sex with you whenever you were ready," Sylnie added, glaring at me, "I lied."

Korrihor laughed.  "Hey, I'm not offended," he told me.  "Demons are a bunch of lying, cheating dicks.  But I'm okay with it."

"Okay, look, clearly I misspoke," I backpedaled.

"Mmm-hmm," Sylnie retorted skeptically, her arms crossed.  I was pretty sure she was just teasing me.  Maybe seventy-five percent sure.  Or maybe sixty percent.  Or it was possible that she was actually pissed at me. 

"But I still think it's not a good idea to place too much trust in Fikhos," I said.  "I don't know him that well."

"Agreed," Jaelin nodded.  "But we should still ask him about it.  We don't know whether he's lying or not if we never ask him the question."

"And if he's not involved, he might be able to lend some assistance," Korrihor reasoned.  "It can't hurt to have another strong ally."

"Can I count you as one of them?" I asked him.

He chuckled and leaned back in his chair, resting his hands behind his head.  "As an ally, why not?  But don't get your hopes up.  I'm not much for power grabs and interdepartmental wars.  I don't think the skill set that I've acquired over centuries of running this outfit will contribute much to your line of work."

"Meaning?"

"Meaning any one of the demons you've gone up against could mop the floor with me without breaking a sweat.  I'm happy to help where I can, but you don't exactly want me joining your posse."

"Fair enough," I said.  "Thanks for the intel."

"You just hope that I wasn't lying to you about it like all those nasty demonfolk do," he added with a wink.

On that worrisome and uncertain note, my assistants and I left.

No comments:

Post a Comment