Friday, April 4, 2014

Spilling It

Sebrev took a moment to sulk and consider my threat.  Finally, he said, “Let’s say, hypothetically, that I’m feeling inclined to cooperate but that the information I have wouldn’t be very useful to you.”

“Hypothetically,” I returned, “I think I should be the judge of that.”

“Hypothetically,” he replied angrily, “I don’t want to spill my guts only for you to tell me that it wasn’t good enough and lock me in your desk with that other guy.”

“You have my word that I won’t do that,” I told him.

“Hypothetically,” Sebrev went on.  “Let’s say that I don’t trust you.  And furthermore, let’s say that I don’t trust you specifically to keep my boss from finding out that I ratted him out after you let me go…hypothetically.”

“There is way too much hypothesizing going on in here,” Gus muttered.

“What, you want witness protection?” I asked my captive.

“No.  I want to go back to my old job,” he said.  “But if you ever try to take down my boss, I don’t want him knowing that I’m the reason you got to that point.”

“Tell me who he is and I’ll take him out right now,” I offered.  “Problem solved.”

“I don’t know who he is,” Sebrev said.

“Bullshit,” Jaelin sneered.  “You’re just trying to cover your own ass, and you’re doing a shit job of it.”

“No, I swear!” Sebrev said desperately.  “Come on, you saw us when we tried to capture you,” he appealed to Jaelin.

“You mean when I kicked your asses and you made off with my lover instead?”

“Yeah, that, whatever,” Sebrev said dismissively.  “I meant you saw how we were all wearing stuff to hide our identities.  We all do that, whenever we meet.  I’ve met my boss a few times, but I’ve never seen his face.”

“Well, at least we know it’s a ‘he,’” Sylnie commented dejectedly.

“I only know one guy in the whole group,” Sebrev explained.  “The guy who recruited me.  Everybody else, all I see is masks.”

“How many others are there?” I asked.  “What’s the purpose of your creepy little organization?”

“I’m not sure how many,” he replied.  “At least a few dozen.  And the purpose…well, there are lots of purposes.  But the current objective is to send demons to invade the Realm of the Living.  Set up a permanent occupancy.”

Sylnie, Jaelin, Gus and I all exchanged grave looks.  In the ensuing silence, General Gavsot teleported in. 

“I apologize for my lateness,” he said.  “How can I help?” 

No comments:

Post a Comment