Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Yet Another Interrogation

“Okay,” I announced.  “Gavsot will probably be here soon, but as Jaelin will doubtlessly remind us, we don’t have time to waste.  So let’s get started.  Sebrev?”

“What?” the disembodied head grouched. 

“I need you to tell me where Torvin is,” I said.

“Who?”

Jaelin’s lip curled.  “Torvin.  The demon you captured when you attacked me.”

“Oh, that guy?” Sebrev replied with a half-chuckle.  “Fuck if I know.  I passed him off to an associate and that was the last I saw of him.”

“You’re lying,” Jaelin said.

“I’m not,” he claimed, meeting her steely gaze.  “And even if I am, it makes no difference.  I have no interest in helping you find him.”

I frowned.  “I’m counting more on your self-interest than your altruism,” I told him.  “Sure, I cut your head off, but there are much more painful things that I’m going to do to you unless you give me some information I can use.”

Sebrev rolled his eyes.  “I’m not scared of you,” he said.  “Whatever punishment you throw at me, my boss can triple it with his eyes closed.”

I’d gotten that answer once before and I was already tired of hearing it.  I set his eyeballs on fire in reply.

Sylnie stepped up to me as I watched the demon’s face burn.  “Sir,” she whispered, “Maybe you could hold his body to ransom.  If you destroy his body, he’ll be stuck as just a head.  That’s probably the worst thing you could threaten him with right now.”

In a moment of gratitude and boldness, I gave her a quick peck on the lips.  “You’re awesome,” I told her.  I turned back to our prisoner.  “Let me explain your situation to you another way,” I said.  “If you cooperate, I will reunite you with your body so that you can heal and regain all your previous abilities.”

“And if I don’t?” he challenged me.

“Then I’ll chop your body up into little pieces and scatter them across the depths of Hell so that you’ll never be whole again,” I snarled darkly.  “You’ll always be nothing but a powerless, useless, hopeless head sitting around waiting for someone to put you out of your misery.”

Sebrev stared at me, his smoldering eyes wide with fear.

“Trust me,” came Azraal’s muffled voice from my desk drawer.  “He’s not fucking around.”

2 comments:

  1. Azraal is biased. You can't trust him.
    RD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...that, and he's evil.

    ReplyDelete