Wednesday, May 28, 2014

A Last Resort

I returned to my office in dejection.  I was back to square one.  I had no more leads on the mysterious organization.  Sebrev didn't seem to know anything.  If Kivra did, she certainly wasn't going to share.  Azraal was somehow connected with them, but he was gone.  Niven was dead.  Tithenai was missing.  It might be possible to visit Korrihor in the Department of Reprocessing to see if he could dig up some more suspicious transactions or something, but that felt like such a longshot. 

Fikhos, dutifully, had returned to watch over Sylnie as she lay wounded on the floor.  "How's she doing?" I asked him.

"Better, actually," he said.  "The healing process is pretty slow, but I'm pretty sure that she'll be absolutely fine in time."

"Well, at least one thing went right," I said sourly.

"I take it the interrogation of Sebrev hasn't yielded anything useful?" he surmised.  He sounded strangely sincere and sympathetic.  I had to admit that I appreciated that at this particularly low moment of discouragement.

"Nothing," I said.  "I tried to see if Kivra knew anything, but she refuses to help.  I just feel like I'll never figure this out or stop what's coming.  All my sources for information are disappearing."

"Is there anyone you haven't tried?" he asked.

"Korrihor," I answered.  "But I'm not holding my breath on that one.  Unless…."  I trailed off.  A crazy idea had popped into my head and I was trying to figure out if it was the kind of crazy that might actually work or the kind of crazy that's just plain old stupid.

"Unless?" he prompted.

I let out a long breath.  "I need you to do me a really big favor, okay?"

"Of course, sir," he said.  "What do you need?"

"It's going to sound kind of insane," I warned him.

"Anything," he replied loyally, without hesitation.

"Fikhos…I need you to kill me."

1 comment:

  1. So inconvenient for your Grandfather. Don't these young whippersnapper Devils have any respect for their elders anymore?

    ReplyDelete