Friday, May 16, 2014

Concerning the Wounded

“So what do you want to do, sir?” Fikhos asked me.

I decided to focus on my immediate goals since I had no clue what to do about the larger problems.  “Is there some kind of infirmary or something that I can get Sylnie and Jorge to?” I asked.  “I need them both back to their old selves.”

“There's a network of medical stations in the Department of Torture,” Fikhos suggested.  “They’re designed to repair human bodies for successive rounds of torment, so you could send Jorge there.”

“That sounds good.  What about Sylnie?”

Fikhos shrugged.  “She should come around sooner or later.  After the way you patched her up, she’s started healing again.”

I glanced over at Sylnie’s prostrate form and saw a jagged gash in her shoulder slowly closing itself up.  That was encouraging.

“Good,” I said.  “Fikhos, I need you to take Jorge back to his Department.  His own aides will get him to a medical station in Torture.  Then I need you to come back here and make sure Sylnie wakes up.”

“Begging your pardon, sir,” he reminded me, “but I do have my own Department to run.  I just need a few minutes to check in with my staff and make sure everything is running smoothly in my absence.”

“That’s fine,” I said.  “Drop off Jorge, swing by your place to make sure everything is copacetic, and then come straight back here.  Give me a call when she wakes up.”

“As you wish,” he agreed graciously.

I turned to Jorge.  “You gonna be okay?”

“Once I get this hole in my head fixed I’ll bounce back,” he told me.  “And if there’s anything I can do to help you destroy these bastards, don’t hesitate to involve me.  Revenge is therapeutic.”

“I’ll let you know,” I told him.  I gave Fikhos a nod and the two of them disappeared.  Then I teleported into the Department of Enforcement.

No comments:

Post a Comment