Friday, May 2, 2014

Moving Target

Talamur rushed forward with Olympian speed to tackle the other demon, but she managed to dodge aside at the last second.  After seeing what I’d done to her comrade, she made the wise choice to keep moving.  She wasn’t in one place long enough for me to telefrag her. 

Talamur kept a watchful eye on her as she danced around him, ducking nimbly as she shot the occasional burst of fire at him.  I focused my energies on any nearby objects, bringing bits of debris from the antique shop careening toward her.  She teleported out of the way each time and reappeared a few feet away.  I tried tearing up the ground beneath her feet, pelting her with small rocks and clumps of grassy mud, but she simply moved away again. 

“You’re getting nowhere with all of that shit,” Talamur called out.  “Try something else!”

“I don’t see you helping!” I shot back.

“I’m studying,” he explained.  He was still watching the demon’s movements, poised like a boxer who didn’t seem anxious to actually throw any punches.

I flexed my telekinetic muscles and sent larger and larger objects toward our foe.  I uprooted a mailbox and propelled it toward her head.  I followed that up with the simultaneous assault of a manhole cover, a stop sign and a chunk of pavement.  She avoided all of these with the usual technique, throwing a few more fireballs our way as she did so.

“Oh, come on!” I whined.  In frustration, I reached out to levitate an Escalade parked half a block away and send it hurtling in her direction.  She saw it coming, took a moment to register shock, and then teleported again.

Talamur moved to his right as she disappeared and managed to situate himself directly behind her as she rematerialized.  He swiftly placed his hands on the sides of her head and twisted roughly.  Her neck was broken before the SUV came crashing to the ground.  He let her body drop to his feet.

“How did you know she was going to be there?” I asked him.

“Her movements were not really so random as she would have liked them to appear to be,” Talamur replied. 

I nodded, impressed.  “Okay then.”

“You need to do something about these demons before they heal, Jason,” he said.

“Yeah, about that,” I said suspiciously.  “Nobody calls me Jason.  How do you know my name?”

“Well,” he said, “We’ve met before, kind of.”

“What does that mean?”

 He sighed heavily.  “I suppose that you could say, strictly speaking, that I killed you.”

3 comments:

  1. Well, it's a good thing Jason isn't the type of person to let a little something like murder come between his friendships.
    RD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be soooo petty of him, right?

      Delete
    2. What's a little stabbing between murderers?

      Delete