Wednesday, June 18, 2014

A Whole Lot of Nothing

“Sylnie!” I cried with a level of genuine joy that surprised me.  I rushed to her side.  “You’re awake!” 

She eased herself up onto her elbows, wincing.  “Yeah.  I feel like somebody ran my internal organs through a meat grinder, though.”

“I’ve heard that’s actually part of Ted Bundy’s regular schedule down here,” Torvin said quietly.

“Did I…heal?” Sylnie asked me in astonishment.

“I got you started,” I told her.  “But you did the rest.”

She touched her skull gingerly.  “My head…it was broken.”

I nodded.  “Your leg got cut off, too.”

“There’s no way I would have been able to heal something that severe before, with or without your help,” she said, beaming at me.  “I’m definitely getting stronger.”

“You almost died,” I reminded her gently.  I guess I expected her to feel a little more in touch with her mortality or something.

“But I didn’t,” she pointed out.  “Because I’m getting stronger.”

“That’s great,” I told her.  “I heard you really kicked some ass back there.  But now that you’re alive and well…what can you remember?  Did you recognize any of the demons who did this?” 

She shook her head.  “Sorry, it was all masks and robes.  I didn’t see enough of anybody to recognize anything.”

I couldn’t help but roll my eyes in disappointment.  Everything was amounting to nothing.  I turned back to Belvidon’s head.  “That brings us back to you,” I said.  “Spill it.”

“Spill what, sir?” he replied.  “I already told you, I don’t know who The Leader is.”

“But you know about the organization,” Torvin said.  “Your leader mentioned a secondary hideout.  Tell us where that is.”  It was truly shocking just how handy it was to have Torvin back.  Had he always been this useful?

“I don’t know where it is!” Belvidon insisted.  “When I said I was a new member, I meant I was the newest member.  Why do you think I was still in the old hideout when you captured me?  Everybody else had disappeared and I hadn’t figured out where I was supposed to go.”

“Assuming he’s telling the truth,” Torvin summarized, “We’ve just captured the most useless member of the entire organization.”

“Yeah, thanks,” I snapped.  “I kind of worked that out for myself.”

That was when Jaelin appeared in my office.

No comments:

Post a Comment