Friday, June 27, 2014

Homeward Bound

"Hello, sir," the demon said.  "I wasn't sure if you wanted your human aide returned to you, but I brought him by just in case."

It was the dark purple demon we'd met in the Department of Torture.  The one with the silly name.  The silly name that I couldn't remember.

"Thank you," I said awkwardly.  "Um…what was it?"

"Doorknob, sir," he replied, unfazed by my inability to remember.  He seemed exuberant that I'd recognized him at all.

"Doorknob!  Yes!  Um, you can release him."  The demon let Gus escape his grasp.  Gus looked so relieved to be free that I thought he might actually kneel down and kiss the bloodstained carpet.  "Thanks for returning him.  I'm glad to have him back."

“Not half as glad as I am to be back,” Gus mumbled.

“You okay?” I asked him, putting a reassuring hand on his shoulder.

He nodded.  “Yeah.  Yeah.  I’m good.  Not having the best week, but I’m good now.”

I posed the obvious follow-up question.  “What happened to you?”

“We got attacked,” he said.  “By those demons in the costumes.”

“Yeah, I know about that,” I said.  “Jorge and Sylnie filled me in already.  But what happened to you?  Where were you?”

“I was in the Department of Torture, Boss-Man,” he explained somberly.  “Sylnie…she was kicking ass, man.  She’d just like torn a friggin’ chunk out of some demon’s neck and then roundhouse kicked him in the face.  He stumbled in my direction and he must have collided with me just as he tried to teleport away.”

“So you got dragged along with him to the Department of Torture?”

Gus nodded.  “Yeah, but he figured it out pretty quick and teleported again without me.  So I’ve been wandering through that god-awful place trying to explain to any demon I met that I wasn’t supposed to be there.  Finally I ran into Doorknob, who thought I looked familiar.”

“Although I’d assumed at first that you’d put him there intentionally as a punishment for a professional misstep of some kind,” Doorknob admitted.


“He took some convincing,” Gus agreed.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome series so far just started reading yesterday
    AC

    ReplyDelete