Friday, July 18, 2014

Winging It

"I suppose I'll just be following your lead, then?" Talamur murmured. 

"Yeah," I said distractedly.  I'd seen a glimpse of movement in the wreckage of the gymnasium and I was focusing on that same spot to see if I could identify whoever was walking calmly through the tangle of bent bleachers.  A moment later the form reemerged and I could tell instantly from both physical appearance and body language that it was a demon. 

"I see one," I said, pointing.  "Let's go tear his head off."

I teleported into the fire and Talamur followed suit.  We arrived a few feet in front of the unknown demon, who regarded us with a smirk and stood with bold dispassion in the midst of such wanton destruction.

"Well, look who it is," he said in a low, guttural voice.  "The Devil himself.  What an honor you bestow upon us with your illustrious presence."  Though the sarcasm was obvious, he gave an over-embellished bow to seal the deal.

"Something like this, I should have known you'd have been behind it," Talamur snarled back.

"Wait, you know this guy?" I asked.

"Kezin," Talamur said.  "He worked for me when I was Director of Torture.  I appreciated his skills back then, but he's a piece of work, let me tell you."

"Aren't they all?" I replied wearily.  Talamur gave me a quick look of disapproval but said nothing.

Kezin, keeping his eyes fixed on us, turned his head to the side to shout behind him, "Sir!  I found him!"

A few moments later, another demon came striding through the flaming debris. "Did you?  Well, that didn't take long at all.  I'm actually disappointed!"  I recognized the voice before his face came into view.  It was Azraal.  He was whole again, reunited with his body, reendowed with his powers, and probably more dangerous than ever.

He put his hands on his hips and flashed me a cheesy smile.  "It's been a while!  How's my favorite weird human-demon hybrid mutant thing?"

No comments:

Post a Comment