Monday, August 25, 2014

Hamming it Up

“Azraal is dead,” I announced.  “If you look around, you’ll see that a number of your comrades are dead, too.  You aren’t winning.”  The demons stared back at me inscrutably.  I wasn’t sure if they were frozen with fear or smoldering with defiance.

“I was wounded, but I’ve healed.  My power is back and, let me tell you, I’m pretty fucking pissed.  You all have one chance to give up and go back to Hell before I start killing,” I explained.   “If you leave the Realm of the Living, that will be the end of it.  I will not look for you, I will not punish you.  But if you don’t, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.”

I was really hoping none of these demons had seen Taken.  It might take some of the punch out of my little speech if they realized it was mostly lifted from a movie.  None of them were laughing or smirking at me, so I figured I was probably in the clear.  “You have until the count of three,” I said.  “One…two….”

To my great pleasure, several of them teleported out before I even got to two.  There were maybe twenty-five of them left by the time I shouted, “Three!”

I looked around at the rebellious demons, took a deep breath through my nostrils, and closed my eyes.  I wasn’t back to full power like I’d implied, so I needed to make the best of what telekinetic prowess I had to scare the rest of them into obedience.  I opened my eyes, selected a nearby target, and instantly relocated myself into his body.  I arrived amid a shower of bloody chunks of flesh, immediately spotted a new mark, and blasted her to pieces before most of the demons had even reacted to the first kill.  Within only a few seconds, I’d telefragged five of them and exhausted almost all the energy I had left.  All the other demons had fled in a panic.

Except Kezin.  He stood his ground, pointing a clawed finger in my direction reproachfully.  “This isn’t over!” he quavered.  “You haven’t seen the last of me!”  And then, not unexpectedly, he departed. 

I scoffed.  “It’s like he read that line out of every cheesy movie ever,” I said.  “At least Azraal could come up with his own taunts and threats.”

“Yeah,” Jaelin agreed.  “Because the cleverness of their banter is really the best way to determine how much of a threat someone is.”

It took me until she had finished speaking to realize she was being sarcastic.

5 comments:

  1. I hope everything is okay with you atm. I do have some bad news slightly. You're sitting in 20th place as of my vote and the gap between you and 10th has grown considerably. A few votes from some of the others can bump you up into the top 15, but a few more need to crawl out of the woodwork to get you into the top 10.
    RD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. Looks like I'm at 18th right now, but I'd need more than double the votes I have to hit the top ten. I do appreciate your votes, though. Even if I'm not in the top ten, sitting at 18th gives me a lot more visibility to prospective readers than sitting at 45th.

    And I'm sorry for the two missed days. Things have been in kind of a horrifying slo-mo implosion at work and it's been pretty draining. I'm hoping to get back in the swing of things next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really like the story and vote for it weekly. Think you are doing a really good job and feel you def. should be higher in the rankings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very kind of you. I really appreciate the support!

      Delete
  4. Sorry for thr continued absence of updates. I didn't have the time I thought I would. And I'm leaving on vacation now, so I'll be hundreds of miles away from my files for a few days.

    Sometime next week I should be able to start working on this again, hopefully. Sorry for the delay, and, as always, thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete