Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Not a Problem

As he collapsed on top of me, the first thought that went through my head was simply that Azraal’s final word before he died was fuck.  Not exactly the most decorous way to go.

The second thought that went through my head was how much pain my body was in.  Azraal was a big demon with a lot of muscle mass and he was literally dead weight right now.  And, of course, Sylnie’s plus size voluptuousness was on top of him.  Between the two of them, there was so much pressure that I thought I might actually start sinking into the dirt.

“Did you kill him?” Sylnie asked hopefully.  “You killed him, didn’t you?”

“Yep,” I grunted.  “Uh, would you mind…?”  I tried to wave her off.

“Oh, right,” she said, blushing through her green skin as she hopped down.  “Sorry.”

I slowly heaved Azraal’s corpse to the side, finally relieving the pressure on my weakened frame.  It was starting to dawn on me that I’d actually ended Azraal’s existence.  He’d been a tricky enemy and a thorn in my side for a long time.  I hadn’t really meant to kill him before he got me in one-on-one combat, but I had to admit that this wrapped things up nicely.  He was now officially not a problem.  He could escape from the Department of Enforcement, but he couldn’t escape death.  I’d never have to worry about him again. 


I still had to worry about his comrades, though.  I heard a bellow of anger and saw Kezin flying through the air toward me.  Jaelin intercepted him in the nick of time and continued fighting him off, but it seemed clear that his primary target had shifted from Jaelin to me, the guy who had just murdered his boss.  It wasn’t the kind of loyalty I’d have expected from a demon so powerful.  In my experience, they were mostly out for themselves and wouldn’t waste time avenging their fallen leaders.  If anything, this probably meant a promotion for Kezin, and demons with the ability to exercise power usually enjoyed being given more of it.  But as he tried to push past Jaelin’s defenses, I could have sworn I saw his eyes brimming with tears.

4 comments:

  1. If Kezin is crying, I assume that Azraal owed him money and now he'll never get paid back.
    RD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. They made a bet on the 1910 world series. With interest, Azraal owed him a small fortune. Now Kezin will never know where he hid the money.

      Delete
  2. Considering Jason was the one who made the point about knives being useful in hand-to-hand combat in the first place, he really ought to keep that Firstborn Demon-Chopper on him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With so much to worry about, stuff like this keep slipping his mind...

      Delete