Friday, August 8, 2014

Round Two

The hordes of Hell collectively pounced on us a second time.  The fact that they no longer feared Salabas was evident by their renewed ferocity. 

The demons had either forgotten about me or written me off.  I was still weak, sprawled out on the ground and forced to watch the frenetic violence from below.  I’d managed to close the wound in my shoulder but I was still struggling to repair the internal damage and reacquire my strength. 

“Jaelin!” Talamur shouted over the din.  “You have to take the Devil and go!  It is imperative that he makes it out alive!”

“Then we’re all going!” she yelled back, tearing the arm off of an enemy combatant.  “You’re coming with!”

“Whatever we do, we need to do it now!” Sylnie said raggedly as Salabas dispatched a demon that had been about to destroy her.  Her left foot had been shorn clean off and she sported at least three wounds to her upper body.  She wouldn’t last much longer in battle and the only reason she’d made it this far was because the others were watching her back.

“Okay,” Talamur said.  “Jaelin, grab the Devil.  I’ll take Sylnie.  Salabas, meet us in the trees on the far side of the parking lot.  Go!”  I felt Jaelin’s cool fingers close around my bicep and I was whisked away to temporary safety.

Instead of lying in a pile of concrete rubble and broken floor tiles, I was now in a more comfortable bed of grass.  I saw Talamur and Sylnie appear a few yards away.  Salabas arrived behind them.  But our opposition had reacted quickly and my companions had hardly caught their breath before the demons began popping into sight around us.

Then Azraal appeared on top of me, straddling my chest and brandishing the Firstborn blade.

2 comments:

  1. Noooooo

    That moment when you've caught up :,(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always hated that about web fiction, web comics and TV shows. It's so much more exciting when you can breeze through it at your own pace!

      But in the meantime, while you're waiting for Monday's update, there's plenty of great stuff you can read!

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete