Friday, September 12, 2014

Always a Threat

"So," Sylnie said, "Now what?"

"I don't know," I admitted.  "I'm pretty sure we scared them off for a while but I have a feeling our favorite little cult isn't just going to quit trying to overrun the world."

"And we didn't kill them all, which bears mentioning," Talamur pointed out.  "As long as one of them who has been to the Realm of the Living has survived, there will always be the threat of an invasion."  Jaelin murmured in agreement.

"So we still need to figure out who's in charge, right?" Sylnie asked excitedly.  "Hunt 'em down and take 'em out!"  She smacked a closed fist against her open palm.  "Bring the hurt, right?"  Apparently she was enjoying the rush of our recent victory in battle.

"Yeah," I said somberly.  "If only we had some information to go on."

"Salabas?" Talamur asked.  "You have anything to add?  You've been on the quiet side."

Salabas had been quiet.  Ever since Kezin had left, our resident angel had appeared to be lost in thought.  He perked up distractedly at the mention of his name.  "Hmm?  I'm very sorry, there, chief, but I'm afraid I wasn't listening just now."

"We have a slew of demons who've formed a secret society bent on taking over the Realm of the Living and we don't know who they are or how to stop them, but you go ahead and tune out if you want to," Talamur said.  I was pretty sure that he was teasing, but I didn't have a good grasp on the relationship between the two of them yet.

"My apologies again, sir," Salabas said, tipping his ridiculous sombrero in Talamur's direction.  "I was receiving a message."  He turned to me.  "God would like a few minutes of your time."

7 comments:

  1. Now this raises the all important question of whether or not the pizza is any good in heaven. Or at least if there is a good pizza joint in the area.

    As for votes, you're just a little off of breaking the top 15, but I'm a bit surprised on how much more the top 3 have than the others. If there were a couple more voters here, top 10 should be an easy grab.
    RD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whooo, I was gone for a long time. Glad to see not everyone lost faith!

      Would Heaven really be Heaven without pizza?

      Delete
  2. didn't lose me voted for your story every week. Hope you had a great vacation, if that is what you were doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I really appreciate it!

      Part of my absence was for a vacation, but the other part was work kicking my ass. I'd come home late and the only thing I felt like doing was watch Netflix until I passed out. The vacation part was great, though!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, man. I'm glad I was missed!

      Delete
  4. Hm, he 'could' just teleport to the room they're keeping his human body in I guess.

    ReplyDelete