Monday, October 27, 2014

Back to School

I returned the the gutted high school and found it completely devoid of demonic activity.  Human firefighters were dousing the buildings with water and seemed to have extinguished the majority of the blaze.  Demon corpses littered the ground leading from the gymnasium into the parking lot.  I spotted Azraal’s body if only to reassure myself that he was, in fact, out of my hair for good.

I looked around for any sign of my cohorts but found none.  As I was about to give up and return to Hell, Talamur appeared about six inches in front of me. 

I flinched instinctively.  “Geez…you scared me!”

“Sorry.”  He gestured toward the school’s football stadium.  “We’re over there,” he explained, putting a hand on my shoulder and whisking me away.  We arrived on the twenty yard line.

“Welcome back, sir!” Sylnie said excitedly, providing an eager embrace and pressing her big soft body against me.

“Did you actually meet with God?” Jaelin asked.

I nodded.  “Yeah, God and Lucifer.”

Talamur’s eyebrows went up and let out a low whistle.  “Lucifer?  The original?”

“I think so,” I said.

Puzzled, Jaelin asked, “They were together?”

“Yeah.  Apparently they’re best buds.”

“What did they say?” Sylnie prompted.

I sighed.  “Basically that there’s a tunnel from Hell to Heaven that damned souls are supposed to be sucked through once their punishment is finished, but that some devil a really long time ago blocked it up and God wants me to blow it back open with a spell so that people aren’t stuck down in the pit of fire for all eternity.”

The three of them stared at me in a stunned silence for a few moments before Talamur hesitantly said, “Well…at least that will be solving the problem with overcrowding, then, right?”

2 comments:

  1. The school is completely devoid of demonic activity? It's worse than I thought.
    RD

    ReplyDelete